Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Globe International Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand the underlying levers of profitability in an industry. Globe International Limited managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Globe International Limited competitive advantage and long term profitability in Consumer Durables & Apparel industry.
Brief overview of Globe International Limited
Globe International Limited is one of the leading Australian firms in the Consumer Durables & Apparel sector. Over the years Globe International Limited has redefined the ways of doing business in Consumer Durables & Apparel industry. Globe International Limited is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and have the stock market ticker " GLB ".
Order Now - Harvard Business (HBR) Case Study Solution
Order Now - Globe International Limited Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article in Harvard Business Review (HBR) - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed the five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in the industry it operates in. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Globe International Limited can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Consumer Durables & Apparel industry. Managers at Globe International Limited can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Consumer Durables & Apparel industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Consumer Durables & Apparel sector.
Globe International Limited Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Consumer Durables & Apparel Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Consumer Durables & Apparel brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Globe International Limited through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Globe International Limited has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Globe International Limited can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Globe International Limited ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Globe International Limited keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Consumer Durables & Apparel industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Globe International Limited can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Consumer Durables & Apparel sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Consumer Durables & Apparel field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Consumer Durables & Apparel.
How Globe International Limited can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Globe International Limited can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Globe International Limited profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Globe International Limited the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Globe International Limited can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Globe International Limited keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Globe International Limited to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Globe International Limited can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Globe International Limited operates in a very competitive Consumer Durables & Apparel industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Globe International Limited can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Consumer Durables & Apparel industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Globe International Limited
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Globe International Limited strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Consumer Durables & Apparel industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Globe International Limited 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Globe International Limited Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Shopfair Supermarkets (A) case study solution
- Fairfield Inn (A) case study solution
- Board of Directors at Morgan Stanley Dean Witter (A) case study solution
- Cameco in Kyrgyzstan: Corporate Social Responsibility Abroad case study solution
- Name Your Price: Compensation Negotiation at Whole Health Management (C) case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Glg Corp Ltd Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Gazal Corporation Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Gale Pacific Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- G.U.D. Holdings Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Fleetwood Corporation Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis