Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida SWOT Analysis / Matrix
Business Essays, Term Papers & Research Papers
SWOT analysis is a vital strategic planning tool that can be used by Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida managers to do a situational analysis of the company . It is a handy technique to map out the present Strengths (S), Weakness (W), Opportunities (O) & Threats (T) Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida is facing in its current business environment.
The Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida is one of the leading firms in its industry. Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida maintains its prominent position in market by critically analyzing and reviewing the SWOT analysis. SWOT analysis an immensenly interactive process and requires effective coordination among various departments within the firm such as – marketing, finance, operations, management information systems and strategic planning.
Order Now - Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida SWOT Analysis
Check out- Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida PESTEL / PEST & Environment Analysis
Article continues after advertisement
The SWOT Analysis framework enables an organization to identify the internal strategic factors such as -strengths and weaknesses, & external strategic factors such as - opportunities and threats. It leads to a 2X2 matrix – also known as SWOT Matrix.
The Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunities-Threats (SWOT) Analysis / Matrix helps the managers of the Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida to develop four types of strategies:
- SO (strengths-opportunities) Strategies
- WO (weaknesses-opportunities) Strategies
- ST (strengths-threats) Strategies
- WT (weaknesses-threats) Strategies
SWOT Matrix Strategies Objective
The main purpose of SWOT matrix is to identify the strategies that a company can use to exploit external opportunities, counter threats, and build on & protect Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida strengths, and eradicate its weaknesses.
Step by Step Guide to Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida SWOT Analysis
Strengths of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida – Internal Strategic Factors
As one of the leading organizations in its industry, Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida has numerous strengths that help it to thrive in the market place. These strengths not only help it to protect the market share in existing markets but also help in penetrating new markets. Based on Fern Fort University extensive research – some of the strengths of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida are –
Read - Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
Article continues after advertisement
- Strong dealer community – It has built a culture among distributor & dealers where the dealers not only promote company’s products but also invest in training the sales team to explain to the customer how he/she can extract the maximum benefits out of the products.
- Strong Brand Portfolio – Over the years Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida has invested in building a strong brand portfolio. The SWOT analysis of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida just underlines this fact. This brand portfolio can be extremely useful if the organization wants to expand into new product categories.
- Reliable suppliers – It has a strong base of reliable supplier of raw material thus enabling the company to overcome any supply chain bottlenecks.
- Highly successful at Go To Market strategies for its products.
- Good Returns on Capital Expenditure – Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida is relatively successful at execution of new projects and generated good returns on capital expenditure by building new revenue streams.
- Highly skilled workforce through successful training and learning programs. Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida is investing huge resources in training and development of its employees resulting in a workforce that is not only highly skilled but also motivated to achieve more.
- Automation of activities brought consistency of quality to Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida products and has enabled the company to scale up and scale down based on the demand conditions in the market.
- Successful track record of integrating complimentary firms through mergers & acquisition. It has successfully integrated number of technology companies in the past few years to streamline its operations and to build a reliable supply chain.
Weakness of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida – Internal Strategic Factors
Weakness are the areas where Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida can improve upon. Strategy is about making choices and weakness are the areas where a firm can improve using SWOT analysis and build on its competitive advantage and strategic positioning.
Article continues after advertisement
- Need more investment in new technologies. Given the scale of expansion and different geographies the company is planning to expand into, Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida needs to put more money in technology to integrate the processes across the board. Right now the investment in technologies is not at par with the vision of the company.
- Not very good at product demand forecasting leading to higher rate of missed opportunities compare to its competitors. One of the reason why the days inventory is high compare to its competitors is that Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida is not very good at demand forecasting thus end up keeping higher inventory both in-house and in channel.
- The marketing of the products left a lot to be desired. Even though the product is a success in terms of sale but its positioning and unique selling proposition is not clearly defined which can lead to the attacks in this segment from the competitors.
- Investment in Research and Development is below the fastest growing players in the industry. Even though Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida is spending above the industry average on Research and Development, it has not been able to compete with the leading players in the industry in terms of innovation. It has come across as a mature firm looking forward to bring out products based on tested features in the market.
- High attrition rate in work force – compare to other organizations in the industry Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida has a higher attrition rate and have to spend a lot more compare to its competitors on training and development of its employees.
- Limited success outside core business – Even though Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida is one of the leading organizations in its industry it has faced challenges in moving to other product segments with its present culture.
- Days inventory is high compare to the competitors – making the company raise more capital to invest in the channel. This can impact the long term growth of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida
Opportunities for Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida – External Strategic Factors
Article continues after advertisement
- Organization’s core competencies can be a success in similar other products field. A comparative example could be - GE healthcare research helped it in developing better Oil drilling machines.
- The new technology provides an opportunity to Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida to practices differentiated pricing strategy in the new market. It will enable the firm to maintain its loyal customers with great service and lure new customers through other value oriented propositions.
- New customers from online channel – Over the past few years the company has invested vast sum of money into the online platform. This investment has opened new sales channel for Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida. In the next few years the company can leverage this opportunity by knowing its customer better and serving their needs using big data analytics.
- Opening up of new markets because of government agreement – the adoption of new technology standard and government free trade agreement has provided Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida an opportunity to enter a new emerging market.
- New trends in the consumer behavior can open up new market for the Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida . It provides a great opportunity for the organization to build new revenue streams and diversify into new product categories too.
- Decreasing cost of transportation because of lower shipping prices can also bring down the cost of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida’s products thus providing an opportunity to the company - either to boost its profitability or pass on the benefits to the customers to gain market share.
- The new taxation policy can significantly impact the way of doing business and can open new opportunity for established players such as Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida to increase its profitability.
- Economic uptick and increase in customer spending, after years of recession and slow growth rate in the industry, is an opportunity for Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida to capture new customers and increase its market share.
Threats Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida Facing - External Strategic Factors
- As the company is operating in numerous countries it is exposed to currency fluctuations especially given the volatile political climate in number of markets across the world.
- Imitation of the counterfeit and low quality product is also a threat to Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida’s product especially in the emerging markets and low income markets.
- Intense competition – Stable profitability has increased the number of players in the industry over last two years which has put downward pressure on not only profitability but also on overall sales.
- Growing strengths of local distributors also presents a threat in some markets as the competition is paying higher margins to the local distributors.
- The demand of the highly profitable products is seasonal in nature and any unlikely event during the peak season may impact the profitability of the company in short to medium term.
- The company can face lawsuits in various markets given - different laws and continuous fluctuations regarding product standards in those markets.
- No regular supply of innovative products – Over the years the company has developed numerous products but those are often response to the development by other players. Secondly the supply of new products is not regular thus leading to high and low swings in the sales number over period of time.
- Liability laws in different countries are different and Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida may be exposed to various liability claims given change in policies in those markets.
Limitations of SWOT Analysis for Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida
Although the SWOT analysis is widely used as a strategic planning tool, the analysis does have its share of limitations.
- Certain capabilities or factors of an organization can be both a strength and weakness at the same time. This is one of the major limitations of SWOT analysis . For example changing environmental regulations can be both a threat to company it can also be an opportunity in a sense that it will enable the company to be on a level playing field or at advantage to competitors if it able to develop the products faster than the competitors.
- SWOT does not show how to achieve a competitive advantage, so it must not be an end in itself.
- The matrix is only a starting point for a discussion on how proposed strategies could be implemented. It provided an evaluation window but not an implementation plan based on strategic competitiveness of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida
- SWOT is a static assessment - analysis of status quo with few prospective changes. As circumstances, capabilities, threats, and strategies change, the dynamics of a competitive environment may not be revealed in a single matrix.
- SWOT analysis may lead the firm to overemphasize a single internal or external factor in formulating strategies. There are interrelationships among the key internal and external factors that SWOT does not reveal that may be important in devising strategies.
Article continues after advertisement
Weighted SWOT Analysis of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida
In light of the above mentioned limitations of the SWOT analysis / matrix, corporate managers decided to provide weightage to each internal strength and weakness of the firm. Organizations also assess the likelihood of events taking place in the coming future and how strong their impact could be on company's performance.
This method is called Weighted SWOT analysis. It is better than doing simplistic SWOT analysis because with Weighted SWOT Analysis Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida managers can focus on the most critical factors and discount the non-important one. It also solves the long list problem where organizations ends up making a long list but none of the factors deemed too critical.
Limitation of Weighted SWOT analysis of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida
This approach also suffers from one major drawback - it focus on individual importance of factor rather than how they are collectively important and impact the business holistically.
Buy Custom Essay and Term Paper on SWOT Analysis / Matrix , Weighted SWOT Analysis of Seacoast Banking Corporation of Florida
Example of Weighted SWOT Analysis
You can email us to get an example document of Weighted SWOT analysis.
SWOT Worksheet & Template
If you like to do your own SWOT analysis or want to make your own Weighted SWOT SWOT matrix then feel free to download Fern Fort University SWOT Analysis Template.
References / Citations & Bibliography
- M. E. Porter, Competitive Strategy(New York: Free Press, 1980)
- A. D. Chandler, Strategy and Structure (Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1962)
- O. E. Williamson, Markets and Hierarchies(New York: Free Press, 1975);
- L. Wrigley, Divisional Autonomy and Diversification (PhD, Harvard Business School, 1970)
- R. E. White, Generic Business Strategies, Organizational Context and Performance: An Empirical Investigation, Strategic Management Journal7 (1986)
Previous 5 SWOT Analysis
- Sandy Spring Bancorp, Inc. SWOT Analysis
- Penns Woods Bancorp, Inc. SWOT Analysis
- Peoples Bancorp of North Carolina, Inc. SWOT Analysis
- Old Point Financial Corporation SWOT Analysis
- OptimumBank Holdings, Inc. SWOT Analysis
Next 5 SWOT Analysis
- Sunshine Bancorp, Inc. SWOT Analysis
- Signature Bank SWOT Analysis
- Southside Bancshares, Inc. SWOT Analysis
- Southwest Georgia Financial Corporation SWOT Analysis
- Shore Bancshares, Inc. SWOT Analysis
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Navy SEALs: Selecting and Training for an Elite Fighting Force case study solution
- The Home Depot, Inc. case study solution
- Silicon Valley Bank case study solution
- FIJI Water and Corporate Social Responsibility - Green Makeover or "Greenwashing"? case study solution
- Otis Elevator Co.: China Joint Venture (B2) case study solution