Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Trustees Australia Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand the underlying levers of profitability in an industry. Trustees Australia Limited managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Trustees Australia Limited competitive advantage and long term profitability in Consumer Services industry.
Brief overview of Trustees Australia Limited
Trustees Australia Limited is one of the leading Australian firms in the Consumer Services sector. Over the years Trustees Australia Limited has redefined the ways of doing business in Consumer Services industry. Trustees Australia Limited is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and have the stock market ticker " TAU ".
Order Now - Harvard Business (HBR) Case Study Solution
Order Now - Trustees Australia Limited Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article in Harvard Business Review (HBR) - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed the five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in the industry it operates in. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Trustees Australia Limited can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Consumer Services industry. Managers at Trustees Australia Limited can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Consumer Services industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Consumer Services sector.
Trustees Australia Limited Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Consumer Services Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Consumer Services brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Trustees Australia Limited through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Trustees Australia Limited has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Trustees Australia Limited can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Trustees Australia Limited ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Trustees Australia Limited keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Consumer Services industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Trustees Australia Limited can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Consumer Services sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Consumer Services field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Consumer Services.
How Trustees Australia Limited can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Trustees Australia Limited can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Trustees Australia Limited profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Trustees Australia Limited the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Trustees Australia Limited can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Trustees Australia Limited keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Trustees Australia Limited to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Trustees Australia Limited can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Trustees Australia Limited operates in a very competitive Consumer Services industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Trustees Australia Limited can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Consumer Services industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Trustees Australia Limited
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Trustees Australia Limited strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Consumer Services industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Trustees Australia Limited 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Trustees Australia Limited Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- BSI Bank of Switzerland: Victim of Growth or Perpetrator of a Crime? case study solution
- Mubadala: Forging Development in Abu Dhabi case study solution
- Conflict on a Trading Floor (A) case study solution
- RL Wolfe: Implementing Self-Directed Teams case study solution
- Licensing of APOEP1.B Peptide Technology case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Transmetro Corporation Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Total Face Group Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Topbetta Holdings Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Think Childcare Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- The Star Entertainment Group Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis