Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Equifax Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Equifax Inc. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Equifax Inc. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Credit Services industry.
Brief overview of Equifax Inc.
Equifax Inc. is one of the leading firms in the Credit Services. Over the years Equifax Inc. has redefined the ways of doing business in Financial. Equifax Inc. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 17.02B USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Equifax Inc. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Credit Services industry. Managers at Equifax Inc. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Credit Services industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Financial sector.
Equifax Inc. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Financial Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Credit Services brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Equifax Inc. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Equifax Inc. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Equifax Inc. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Equifax Inc. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Equifax Inc. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Credit Services industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Equifax Inc. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Financial sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Credit Services field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Credit Services.
How Equifax Inc. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Equifax Inc. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Equifax Inc. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Equifax Inc. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Equifax Inc. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Equifax Inc. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Equifax Inc. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
How Equifax Inc. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Equifax Inc. operates in a very competitive Credit Services industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Equifax Inc. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Credit Services industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Equifax Inc.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Equifax Inc. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Credit Services industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Equifax Inc. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Equifax Inc. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Australian Paper Manufacturers (A) case study solution
- Xiamen Airlines: Bracing for Impact case study solution
- Spotify: Face the Music case study solution
- Samsung Everland: Managing Service Quality (B) case study solution
- Whither the Weather (Company): Forecasting 2016 case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Discover Financial Services Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Consumer Portfolio Services, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Capital One Financial Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CIT Group Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- China Commercial Credit, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis