Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Wabash National Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Wabash National Corporation managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Wabash National Corporation competitive advantage and long term profitability in Trucks & Other Vehicles industry.
Brief overview of Wabash National Corporation
Wabash National Corporation is one of the leading firms in the Trucks & Other Vehicles. Over the years Wabash National Corporation has redefined the ways of doing business in Consumer Goods. Wabash National Corporation is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 1.27B USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Wabash National Corporation can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Trucks & Other Vehicles industry. Managers at Wabash National Corporation can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Trucks & Other Vehicles industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Consumer Goods sector.
Wabash National Corporation Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Consumer Goods Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Trucks & Other Vehicles brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Wabash National Corporation through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Wabash National Corporation has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Wabash National Corporation can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Wabash National Corporation ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Wabash National Corporation keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Trucks & Other Vehicles industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Wabash National Corporation can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Consumer Goods sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Trucks & Other Vehicles field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Trucks & Other Vehicles.
How Wabash National Corporation can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Wabash National Corporation can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Wabash National Corporation profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Wabash National Corporation the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Wabash National Corporation can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Wabash National Corporation keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Wabash National Corporation to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
How Wabash National Corporation can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Wabash National Corporation operates in a very competitive Trucks & Other Vehicles industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Wabash National Corporation can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Trucks & Other Vehicles industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Wabash National Corporation
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Wabash National Corporation strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Trucks & Other Vehicles industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Wabash National Corporation 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Wabash National Corporation Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- McDonald's (in 2013): How to Win (Again)? case study solution
- Reebok International Ltd., Spanish Version case study solution
- Cloud Storage and Document Management: How a new generation of companies is shaping the enterprise content management industry case study solution
- AtMyDoorsteps.com: Breaking Ground in Online Grocery Market in India case study solution
- Allianz Turkey: Focus on the Customer (B) case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Advanced Drainage Systems, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Workhorse Group Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- G. Willi-Food International Ltd. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Whirlpool Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Winnebago Industries, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis