Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Tesla, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Tesla, Inc. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Tesla, Inc. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Auto Manufacturers - Major industry.
Brief overview of Tesla, Inc.
Tesla, Inc. is one of the leading firms in the Auto Manufacturers - Major. Over the years Tesla, Inc. has redefined the ways of doing business in Consumer Goods. Tesla, Inc. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 61.65B USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Tesla, Inc. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Auto Manufacturers - Major industry. Managers at Tesla, Inc. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Auto Manufacturers - Major industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Consumer Goods sector.
Tesla, Inc. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Consumer Goods Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Auto Manufacturers - Major brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Tesla, Inc. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Tesla, Inc. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Tesla, Inc. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Tesla, Inc. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Tesla, Inc. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Auto Manufacturers - Major industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Tesla, Inc. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Consumer Goods sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Auto Manufacturers - Major field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Auto Manufacturers - Major.
How Tesla, Inc. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Tesla, Inc. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Tesla, Inc. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Tesla, Inc. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Tesla, Inc. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Tesla, Inc. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Tesla, Inc. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
How Tesla, Inc. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Tesla, Inc. operates in a very competitive Auto Manufacturers - Major industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Tesla, Inc. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Auto Manufacturers - Major industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Tesla, Inc.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Tesla, Inc. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Auto Manufacturers - Major industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Tesla, Inc. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Tesla, Inc. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Ken Private Limited: Digitization Project case study solution
- Astra/Merck Group case study solution
- Microsoft Goes Online: MSN--1998 case study solution
- IPremier Co. (C): Denial of Service Attack case study solution
- British Motorcycle Industry at a Crossroads, Chinese Version case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Trinseo S.A. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Tootsie Roll Industries, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Tempur Sealy International, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Turning Point Brands, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Tower International, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis