Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Natuzzi S.p.A. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Natuzzi S.p.A. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Natuzzi S.p.A. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Home Furnishings & Fixtures industry.
Brief overview of Natuzzi S.p.A.
Natuzzi S.p.A. is one of the leading firms in the Home Furnishings & Fixtures. Over the years Natuzzi S.p.A. has redefined the ways of doing business in Consumer Goods. Natuzzi S.p.A. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 139.50M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in its industry. These five forces analysis today in business world is also known as -Porter Five Forces Analysis. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Natuzzi S.p.A. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Home Furnishings & Fixtures industry. Managers at Natuzzi S.p.A. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Home Furnishings & Fixtures industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Consumer Goods sector.
Natuzzi S.p.A. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Consumer Goods Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Home Furnishings & Fixtures brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Natuzzi S.p.A. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Natuzzi S.p.A. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Natuzzi S.p.A. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Natuzzi S.p.A. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Natuzzi S.p.A. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Home Furnishings & Fixtures industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Natuzzi S.p.A. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Consumer Goods sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Home Furnishings & Fixtures field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Home Furnishings & Fixtures.
How Natuzzi S.p.A. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Natuzzi S.p.A. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Natuzzi S.p.A. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Natuzzi S.p.A. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Natuzzi S.p.A. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Natuzzi S.p.A. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Natuzzi S.p.A. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Natuzzi S.p.A. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Natuzzi S.p.A. operates in a very competitive Home Furnishings & Fixtures industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Natuzzi S.p.A. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Home Furnishings & Fixtures industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Natuzzi S.p.A.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Natuzzi S.p.A. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Home Furnishings & Fixtures industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Natuzzi S.p.A. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Natuzzi S.p.A. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Starbucks Corporation: Building a Sustainable Supply Chain case study solution
- Understanding Buyer Choice/Rejection/Experience Processes for Complex Services: The Example of Montessori Private Schools case study solution
- Vicks Health Care Division: Project Scorpio (D) case study solution
- Booz.Allen & Hamilton: Vision 2000, Spanish Version case study solution
- HootSuite: Monetizing the Social Media Dashboard case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Neenah Paper, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Nomad Foods Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Nautilus, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- NIKE, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Natural Health Trends Corp. Porter Five Forces Analysis