Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Sandstorm Gold Ltd. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Sandstorm Gold Ltd. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Sandstorm Gold Ltd. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Gold industry.
Brief overview of Sandstorm Gold Ltd.
Sandstorm Gold Ltd. is one of the leading firms in the Gold. Over the years Sandstorm Gold Ltd. has redefined the ways of doing business in Basic Materials. Sandstorm Gold Ltd. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 539.58M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in its industry. These five forces analysis today in business world is also known as -Porter Five Forces Analysis. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Gold industry. Managers at Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Gold industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Basic Materials sector.
Sandstorm Gold Ltd. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Basic Materials Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Gold brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Sandstorm Gold Ltd. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Sandstorm Gold Ltd. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Sandstorm Gold Ltd. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Sandstorm Gold Ltd. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Gold industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Basic Materials sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Gold field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Gold.
How Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Sandstorm Gold Ltd. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Sandstorm Gold Ltd. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Sandstorm Gold Ltd. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Sandstorm Gold Ltd. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Sandstorm Gold Ltd. operates in a very competitive Gold industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Sandstorm Gold Ltd. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Gold industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Sandstorm Gold Ltd.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Sandstorm Gold Ltd. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Gold industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Sandstorm Gold Ltd. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Sandstorm Gold Ltd. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Apollo Hospitals: Differentiation through Hospitality case study solution
- Rajghat Power House: The Economy or the Environment case study solution
- Adept Chemical Inc. case study solution
- Online Auction Markets case study solution
- Airlines and Antitrust: Scrutinizing the American Airlines-US Airways Merger case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- SAExploration Holdings, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Seabridge Gold Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Rentech, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- RSP Permian, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis