Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Collectors Universe Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Collectors Universe Inc. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Collectors Universe Inc. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Business Services industry.
Brief overview of Collectors Universe Inc.
Collectors Universe Inc. is one of the leading firms in the Business Services. Over the years Collectors Universe Inc. has redefined the ways of doing business in Services. Collectors Universe Inc. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 228.71M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Collectors Universe Inc. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Business Services industry. Managers at Collectors Universe Inc. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Business Services industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Services sector.
Collectors Universe Inc. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Services Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Business Services brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Collectors Universe Inc. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Collectors Universe Inc. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Collectors Universe Inc. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Collectors Universe Inc. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Collectors Universe Inc. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Business Services industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Collectors Universe Inc. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Services sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Business Services field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Business Services.
How Collectors Universe Inc. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Collectors Universe Inc. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Collectors Universe Inc. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Collectors Universe Inc. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Collectors Universe Inc. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Collectors Universe Inc. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Collectors Universe Inc. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
How Collectors Universe Inc. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Collectors Universe Inc. operates in a very competitive Business Services industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Collectors Universe Inc. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Business Services industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Collectors Universe Inc.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Collectors Universe Inc. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Business Services industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Collectors Universe Inc. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Collectors Universe Inc. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Fu Hong Society: Governance with Strong Operational Oversight case study solution
- Cameco in Kyrgyzstan: Corporate Social Responsibility Abroad case study solution
- Nike, Inc. in the 1990s (B): Strategy and Management Changes--1993-94 case study solution
- Black & Decker Corp.: Spacemaker Plus Coffeemaker (A) case study solution
- IBM and the Reinvention of High School (B): Replicating & Scaling P-TECH and Partners case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- China Jo-Jo Drugstores, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CompX International Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Cinedigm Corp. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Chuy's Holdings, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Charter Communications, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis