Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Career Education Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Career Education Corporation managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Career Education Corporation competitive advantage and long term profitability in Education & Training Services industry.
Brief overview of Career Education Corporation
Career Education Corporation is one of the leading firms in the Education & Training Services. Over the years Career Education Corporation has redefined the ways of doing business in Services. Career Education Corporation is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 677.18M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in its industry. These five forces analysis today in business world is also known as -Porter Five Forces Analysis. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Career Education Corporation can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Education & Training Services industry. Managers at Career Education Corporation can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Education & Training Services industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Services sector.
Career Education Corporation Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Services Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Education & Training Services brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Career Education Corporation through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Career Education Corporation has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Career Education Corporation can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Career Education Corporation ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Career Education Corporation keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Education & Training Services industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Career Education Corporation can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Services sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Education & Training Services field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Education & Training Services.
How Career Education Corporation can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Career Education Corporation can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Career Education Corporation profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Career Education Corporation the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Career Education Corporation can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Career Education Corporation keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Career Education Corporation to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Career Education Corporation can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Career Education Corporation operates in a very competitive Education & Training Services industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Career Education Corporation can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Education & Training Services industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Career Education Corporation
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Career Education Corporation strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Education & Training Services industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Career Education Corporation 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Career Education Corporation Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- The Chicago Blackhawks: Greatest Sports Business Turnaround Ever? case study solution
- Wendy Kopp and Teach for America (A) case study solution
- Medfield Pharmaceuticals case study solution
- MacTemps: Building Commitment in the Interim Workforce, Spanish Version case study solution
- The Fab Four of Tennis case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- China Eastern Airlines Corporation Limited Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CareDx, Inc Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CDI Corp. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Cross Country Healthcare, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- China Customer Relations Centers, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis