Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Avis Budget Group, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Avis Budget Group, Inc. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Avis Budget Group, Inc. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Rental & Leasing Services industry.
Brief overview of Avis Budget Group, Inc.
Avis Budget Group, Inc. is one of the leading firms in the Rental & Leasing Services. Over the years Avis Budget Group, Inc. has redefined the ways of doing business in Services. Avis Budget Group, Inc. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 1.95B USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Avis Budget Group, Inc. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Rental & Leasing Services industry. Managers at Avis Budget Group, Inc. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Rental & Leasing Services industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Services sector.
Avis Budget Group, Inc. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Services Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Rental & Leasing Services brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Avis Budget Group, Inc. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Avis Budget Group, Inc. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Avis Budget Group, Inc. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Avis Budget Group, Inc. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Avis Budget Group, Inc. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Rental & Leasing Services industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Avis Budget Group, Inc. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Services sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Rental & Leasing Services field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Rental & Leasing Services.
How Avis Budget Group, Inc. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Avis Budget Group, Inc. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Avis Budget Group, Inc. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Avis Budget Group, Inc. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Avis Budget Group, Inc. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Avis Budget Group, Inc. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Avis Budget Group, Inc. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
How Avis Budget Group, Inc. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Avis Budget Group, Inc. operates in a very competitive Rental & Leasing Services industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Avis Budget Group, Inc. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Rental & Leasing Services industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Avis Budget Group, Inc.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Avis Budget Group, Inc. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Rental & Leasing Services industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Avis Budget Group, Inc. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Avis Budget Group, Inc. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Infosys' Relationship Scorecard: Measuring Transformational Partnerships case study solution
- The Mark News case study solution
- Launch of mbanx case study solution
- Kingston Family Vineyards case study solution
- Distribution at American Airlines (C) case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- China Auto Logistics Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- The Cheesecake Factory Incorporated Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CAI International, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Cardinal Health, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Caesars Acquisition Company Porter Five Forces Analysis