Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Manitex International, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Manitex International, Inc. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Manitex International, Inc. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Diversified Machinery industry.
Brief overview of Manitex International, Inc.
Manitex International, Inc. is one of the leading firms in the Diversified Machinery. Over the years Manitex International, Inc. has redefined the ways of doing business in Industrial Goods. Manitex International, Inc. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 113.59M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Manitex International, Inc. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Diversified Machinery industry. Managers at Manitex International, Inc. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Diversified Machinery industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Industrial Goods sector.
Manitex International, Inc. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Industrial Goods Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Diversified Machinery brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Manitex International, Inc. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Manitex International, Inc. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Manitex International, Inc. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Manitex International, Inc. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Manitex International, Inc. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Diversified Machinery industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Manitex International, Inc. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Industrial Goods sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Diversified Machinery field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Diversified Machinery.
How Manitex International, Inc. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Manitex International, Inc. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Manitex International, Inc. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Manitex International, Inc. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Manitex International, Inc. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Manitex International, Inc. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Manitex International, Inc. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
How Manitex International, Inc. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Manitex International, Inc. operates in a very competitive Diversified Machinery industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Manitex International, Inc. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Diversified Machinery industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Manitex International, Inc.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Manitex International, Inc. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Diversified Machinery industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Manitex International, Inc. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Manitex International, Inc. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- North American Financial Corporation (NAF): The MLM Project (B) case study solution
- Danimal in South Africa: Management Innovation at the Bottom of the Pyramid case study solution
- Leadership and Organizational Behavior (LEAD), Course Overview (Abridged) case study solution
- AMD Dresden: Copy Inexactly! case study solution
- SCORE! Educational Centers (A) case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- 3M Company Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Martin Marietta Materials, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Mueller Industries, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- The Middleby Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Micronet Enertec Technologies, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis