Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Machine Tools & Accessories industry.
Brief overview of Chicago Rivet & Machine Co.
Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. is one of the leading firms in the Machine Tools & Accessories. Over the years Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. has redefined the ways of doing business in Industrial Goods. Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 34.78M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in its industry. These five forces analysis today in business world is also known as -Porter Five Forces Analysis. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Machine Tools & Accessories industry. Managers at Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Machine Tools & Accessories industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Industrial Goods sector.
Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Industrial Goods Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Machine Tools & Accessories brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Machine Tools & Accessories industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Industrial Goods sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Machine Tools & Accessories field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Machine Tools & Accessories.
How Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. operates in a very competitive Machine Tools & Accessories industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Machine Tools & Accessories industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Chicago Rivet & Machine Co.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Machine Tools & Accessories industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Chicago Rivet & Machine Co. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Ingersoll-Rand (C): Managing Multiple Channels--1987 case study solution
- At the T. Rowe Price Trading Desk (A) case study solution
- Medicare and Drug-Eluting Stents case study solution
- A Project Dilemma at Canadian Shield Insurance case study solution
- Amul and India's National Dairy Development Board case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Cavco Industries, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Covanta Holding Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Continental Materials Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CUI Global, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CatchMark Timber Trust, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis