Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Calgon Carbon Corporation Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Calgon Carbon Corporation managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Calgon Carbon Corporation competitive advantage and long term profitability in Pollution & Treatment Controls industry.
Brief overview of Calgon Carbon Corporation
Calgon Carbon Corporation is one of the leading firms in the Pollution & Treatment Controls. Over the years Calgon Carbon Corporation has redefined the ways of doing business in Industrial Goods. Calgon Carbon Corporation is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 766.34M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in its industry. These five forces analysis today in business world is also known as -Porter Five Forces Analysis. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Calgon Carbon Corporation can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Pollution & Treatment Controls industry. Managers at Calgon Carbon Corporation can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Pollution & Treatment Controls industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Industrial Goods sector.
Calgon Carbon Corporation Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Industrial Goods Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Pollution & Treatment Controls brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Calgon Carbon Corporation through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Calgon Carbon Corporation has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Calgon Carbon Corporation can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Calgon Carbon Corporation ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Calgon Carbon Corporation keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Pollution & Treatment Controls industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Calgon Carbon Corporation can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Industrial Goods sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Pollution & Treatment Controls field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Pollution & Treatment Controls.
How Calgon Carbon Corporation can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Calgon Carbon Corporation can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Calgon Carbon Corporation profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Calgon Carbon Corporation the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Calgon Carbon Corporation can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Calgon Carbon Corporation keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Calgon Carbon Corporation to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Calgon Carbon Corporation can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Calgon Carbon Corporation operates in a very competitive Pollution & Treatment Controls industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Calgon Carbon Corporation can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Pollution & Treatment Controls industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Calgon Carbon Corporation
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Calgon Carbon Corporation strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Pollution & Treatment Controls industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Calgon Carbon Corporation 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Calgon Carbon Corporation Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Aravind Eye Care's Vision Centers - Reaching Out to the Rural Poor case study solution
- Investing in a Retirement Plan case study solution
- LabCDMX: Experiment 50 case study solution
- Zimmer Holdings (A): Acquisition of Centerpulse, Switzerland case study solution
- TTK Prestige: Economic Value Added Analysis case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Continental Building Products, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Chicago Bridge & Iron Company N.V. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Caterpillar Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- CAE Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- China Advanced Construction Materials Group, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis