Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Biotechnology industry.
Brief overview of TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is one of the leading firms in the Biotechnology. Over the years TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has redefined the ways of doing business in Healthcare. TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 35.70M USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Biotechnology industry. Managers at TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Biotechnology industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Healthcare sector.
TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Healthcare Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Biotechnology brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Biotechnology industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Healthcare sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Biotechnology field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Biotechnology.
How TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
How TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. operates in a very competitive Biotechnology industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Biotechnology industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
Implications of Porter Five Forces on TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Biotechnology industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Arcapita - 2002 case study solution
- Johansen's: The New Scorecard System-Southwest Regional Manager (Handout 4) case study solution
- Western Chemical Corp.: Divisional Performance Measurement (C) case study solution
- Caroline Regis at Excel Systems case study solution
- BCPC Internet Strategy Team: Terry Maneri case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Tactile Systems Technology, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Theravance Biopharma, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Taro Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Syros Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Synthetic Biologics, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis