Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Porter Five Forces Analysis is a strategic management tool to analyze industry and understand underlying levers of profitability in a given industry. Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. managers can use Porter Five Forces to understand how the five competitive forces influence profitability and develop a strategy for enhancing Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. competitive advantage and long term profitability in Drug Manufacturers - Other industry.
Brief overview of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is one of the leading firms in the Drug Manufacturers - Other. Over the years Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has redefined the ways of doing business in Healthcare. Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is listed at New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and have a market cap 6.23B USD.
What are Porter Five (5) Forces
In his revolutionary article - "Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Michael Porter observed five forces that have significant impact on a firm's profitability in its industry. These five forces analysis today in business world is also known as -Porter Five Forces Analysis. The Porter Five (5) Forces are -
- Threat of New Entrants
- Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- Bargaining Power of Buyers
- Threat from Substitute Products
- Rivalry among the existing players.
Porter Five Forces is a holistic strategy framework that took strategic decision away from just analyzing the present competition. Porter Five Forces focuses on - how Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can build a sustainable competitive advantage in Drug Manufacturers - Other industry. Managers at Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can not only use Porter Five Forces to develop a strategic position with in Drug Manufacturers - Other industry but also can explore profitable opportunities in whole Healthcare sector.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five (5) Forces Analysis for Healthcare Industry
Threats of New Entrants
New entrants in Drug Manufacturers - Other brings innovation, new ways of doing things and put pressure on Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. through lower pricing strategy, reducing costs, and providing new value propositions to the customers. Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has to manage all these challenges and build effective barriers to safeguard its competitive edge.
How Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle the Threats of New Entrants
- By innovating new products and services. New products not only brings new customers to the fold but also give old customer a reason to buy Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. ‘s products.
- By building economies of scale so that it can lower the fixed cost per unit.
- Building capacities and spending money on research and development. New entrants are less likely to enter a dynamic industry where the established players such as Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. keep defining the standards regularly. It significantly reduces the window of extraordinary profits for the new firms thus discourage new players in the industry.
Bargaining Power of Suppliers
All most all the companies in the Drug Manufacturers - Other industry buy their raw material from numerous suppliers. Suppliers in dominant position can decrease the margins Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can earn in the market. Powerful suppliers in Healthcare sector use their negotiating power to extract higher prices from the firms in Drug Manufacturers - Other field. The overall impact of higher supplier bargaining power is that it lowers the overall profitability of Drug Manufacturers - Other.
How Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle Bargaining Power of the Suppliers
- By building efficient supply chain with multiple suppliers.
- By experimenting with product designs using different materials so that if the prices go up of one raw material then company can shift to another.
- Developing dedicated suppliers whose business depends upon the firm. One of the lessons Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can learn from Wal-Mart and Nike is how these companies developed third party manufacturers whose business solely depends on them thus creating a scenario where these third party manufacturers have significantly less bargaining power compare to Wal-Mart and Nike.
Bargaining Power of Buyers
Buyers are often a demanding lot. They want to buy the best offerings available by paying the minimum price as possible. This put pressure on Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. profitability in the long run. The smaller and more powerful the customer base is of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. the higher the bargaining power of the customers and higher their ability to seek increasing discounts and offers.
How Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle the Bargaining Power of Buyers
- By building a large base of customers. This will be helpful in two ways. It will reduce the bargaining power of the buyers plus it will provide an opportunity to the firm to streamline its sales and production process.
- By rapidly innovating new products. Customers often seek discounts and offerings on established products so if Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. keep on coming up with new products then it can limit the bargaining power of buyers.
- New products will also reduce the defection of existing customers of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. to its competitors.
Threats of Substitute Products or Services
When a new product or service meets a similar customer needs in different ways, industry profitability suffers. For example services like Dropbox and Google Drive are substitute to storage hardware drives. The threat of a substitute product or service is high if it offers a value proposition that is uniquely different from present offerings of the industry.
How Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle the Treat of Substitute Products / Services
- By being service oriented rather than just product oriented.
- By understanding the core need of the customer rather than what the customer is buying.
- By increasing the switching cost for the customers.
Rivalry among the Existing Competitors
If the rivalry among the existing players in an industry is intense then it will drive down prices and decrease the overall profitability of the industry. Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. operates in a very competitive Drug Manufacturers - Other industry. This competition does take toll on the overall long term profitability of the organization.
How Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. can tackle Intense Rivalry among the Existing Competitors in Drug Manufacturers - Other industry
- By building a sustainable differentiation
- By building scale so that it can compete better
- Collaborating with competitors to increase the market size rather than just competing for small market.
Implications of Porter Five Forces on Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
By analyzing all the five competitive forces Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. strategists can gain a complete picture of what impacts the profitability of the organization in Drug Manufacturers - Other industry. They can identify game changing trends early on and can swiftly respond to exploit the emerging opportunity. By understanding the Porter Five Forces in great detail Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. 's managers can shape those forces in their favor.
You can order Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five Forces & Industry Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Rwanda Backpackers case study solution
- World Wide Technology and ClearOrbit: Enabling Supply Chain Collaboration case study solution
- ImmuLogic Pharmaceutical Corp. (B1): Malcolm Gefter case study solution
- Somebody Stop the Radio Star: Jian Ghomeshi at the CBC case study solution
- Kansas City Zephyrs Baseball Club, Inc. 2006 case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- INSYS Therapeutics, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Insmed Incorporated Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Inovio Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Innocoll Holdings plc Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Inogen, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis