Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Mead Johnson Nutrition Company PESTEL & Environment Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Mead Johnson Nutrition Company PESTEL analysis is a strategic tool to analyze the macro environment of the organization. PESTEL stands for - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal factors that impact the macro environment of Mead Johnson Nutrition Company.
Changes in the macro-environment factors can have a direct impact on not only the Mead Johnson Nutrition Company but also can impact other players in the Processed & Packaged Goods. The macro-environment factors can impact the Porter Five Forces that shape strategy and competitive landscape. They can impact individual firm’s competitive advantage or overall profitability levels of the Consumer Goods industry.
Article continues after ad
PESTEL analysis provides great detail about operating challenges Mead Johnson Nutrition Company will face in prevalent macro environment other than competitive forces. For example an Industry may be highly profitable with a strong growth trajectory but it won't be any good for Mead Johnson Nutrition Company if it is situated in unstable political environment.
Spanish oil giant Repsol had to face a similar instance. It started an above average profitability operations in Argentina and made strong returns in 5-7 years. But the business was later expropriated by the Left Wing government. So the decade long profits didn’t materialize in the end.
Order Now - Mead Johnson Nutrition Company Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
Political Factors that Impact Mead Johnson Nutrition Company
Political factors play a significant role in determining the factors that can impact Mead Johnson Nutrition Company's long term profitability in a certain country or market. Mead Johnson Nutrition Company is operating in Processed & Packaged Goods in more than dozen countries and expose itself to different types of political environment and political system risks. The achieve success in such a dynamic Processed & Packaged Goods industry across various countries is to diversify the systematic risks of political environment. Mead Johnson Nutrition Company can closely analyze the following factors before entering or investing in a certain market-
- Political stability and importance of Processed & Packaged Goods sector in the country's economy.
- Risk of military invasion
- Level of corruption - especially levels of regulation in Consumer Goods sector.
- Bureaucracy and interference in Processed & Packaged Goods industry by government.
- Legal framework for contract enforcement
- Intellectual property protection
- Trade regulations & tariffs related to Consumer Goods
- Favored trading partners
- Anti-trust laws related to Processed & Packaged Goods
- Pricing regulations – Are there any pricing regulatory mechanism for Consumer Goods
- Taxation - tax rates and incentives
- Wage legislation - minimum wage and overtime
- Work week regulations in Processed & Packaged Goods
- Mandatory employee benefits
- Industrial safety regulations in the Consumer Goods sector.
- Product labeling and other requirements in Processed & Packaged Goods
Economic Factors that Impact Mead Johnson Nutrition Company
The Macro environment factors such as – inflation rate, savings rate, interest rate, foreign exchange rate and economic cycle determine the aggregate demand and aggregate investment in an economy. While micro environment factors such as competition norms impact the competitive advantage of the firm. Mead Johnson Nutrition Company can use country’s economic factor such as growth rate, inflation & industry’s economic indicators such as Processed & Packaged Goods industry growth rate, consumer spending etc to forecast the growth trajectory of not only --sectoryname-- sector but also that of the organization. Economic factors that Mead Johnson Nutrition Company should consider while conducting PESTEL analysis are -
- Government intervention in the free market and related Consumer Goods
- Exchange rates & stability of host country currency.
- Efficiency of financial markets – Does Mead Johnson Nutrition Company needs to raise capital in local market?
- Infrastructure quality in Processed & Packaged Goods industry
- Comparative advantages of host country and Consumer Goods sector in the particular country.
- Skill level of workforce in Processed & Packaged Goods industry.
- Education level in the economy
- Labor costs and productivity in the economy
- Business cycle stage (e.g. prosperity, recession, recovery)
- Economic growth rate
- Discretionary income
- Unemployment rate
- Inflation rate
- Interest rates
Social Factors that Impact Mead Johnson Nutrition Company
Society’s culture and way of doing things impact the culture of an organization in an environment. Shared beliefs and attitudes of the population play a great role in how marketers at Mead Johnson Nutrition Company will understand the customers of a given market and how they design the marketing message for Processed & Packaged Goods industry consumers. Social factors that leadership of Mead Johnson Nutrition Company should analyze for PESTEL analysis are -
- Demographics and skill level of the population
- Class structure, hierarchy and power structure in the society.
- Education level as well as education standard in the Mead Johnson Nutrition Company ’s industry
- Culture (gender roles, social conventions etc.)
- Attitudes (health, environmental consciousness, etc.)
- Leisure interests
Technological Factors that Impact Mead Johnson Nutrition Company
A firm should not only do technological analysis of the industry but also the speed at which technology disrupts that industry. Slow speed will give more time while fast speed of technological disruption may give a firm little time to cope and be profitable. Technology analysis involves understanding the following impacts -
- Recent technological developments by Mead Johnson Nutrition Company competitors
- Technology's impact on product offering
- Impact on cost structure in Processed & Packaged Goods industry
- Impact on value chain structure in Consumer Goods sector
- Rate of technological diffusion
Article continues after ad
Environmental Factors that Impact Mead Johnson Nutrition Company
Before entering new markets or starting a new business in existing market the firm should carefully evaluate the environmental standards that are required to operate in those markets. Some of the environmental factors that a firm should consider beforehand are -
- Climate change
- Laws regulating environment pollution
- Air and water pollution regulations in Processed & Packaged Goods industry
- Waste management in Consumer Goods sector
- Attitudes toward “green” or ecological products
- Endangered species
- Attitudes toward and support for renewable energy
Legal Factors that Impact Mead Johnson Nutrition Company
In number of countries, the legal framework and institutions are not robust enough to protect the intellectual property rights of an organization. A firm should carefully evaluate before entering such markets as it can lead to theft of organization’s secret sauce thus the overall competitive edge. Some of the legal factors that Mead Johnson Nutrition Company leadership should consider while entering a new market are -
- Anti-trust law in Processed & Packaged Goods industry and overall in the country.
- Discrimination law
- Copyright, patents / Intellectual property law
- Consumer protection and e-commerce
- Employment law
- Health and safety law
- Data Protection
You can order Mead Johnson Nutrition Company PESTEL and Environment Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Gaz de France case study solution
- Battle in the Shipyard case study solution
- Mauboussin case study solution
- Albert Dunlap and Corporate Transformation (A) case study solution
- Hampton Machine Tool Co., Spanish Version case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Mobile Mini, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Mohawk Industries, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- MGP Ingredients, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Mercer International Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Mondelez International, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis