Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Coty Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Coty Inc. PESTEL analysis is a strategic tool to analyze the macro environment of the organization. PESTEL stands for - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal factors that impact the macro environment of Coty Inc..
Changes in the macro-environment factors can have a direct impact on not only the Coty Inc. but also can impact other players in the Personal Products. The macro-environment factors can impact the Porter Five Forces that shape strategy and competitive landscape. They can impact individual firm’s competitive advantage or overall profitability levels of the Consumer Goods industry.
Article continues after ad
PESTEL analysis provides great detail about operating challenges Coty Inc. will face in prevalent macro environment other than competitive forces. For example an Industry may be highly profitable with a strong growth trajectory but it won't be any good for Coty Inc. if it is situated in unstable political environment.
Spanish oil giant Repsol had to face a similar instance. It started an above average profitability operations in Argentina and made strong returns in 5-7 years. But the business was later expropriated by the Left Wing government. So the decade long profits didn’t materialize in the end.
Order Now - Coty Inc. Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
Political Factors that Impact Coty Inc.
Political factors play a significant role in determining the factors that can impact Coty Inc.'s long term profitability in a certain country or market. Coty Inc. is operating in Personal Products in more than dozen countries and expose itself to different types of political environment and political system risks. The achieve success in such a dynamic Personal Products industry across various countries is to diversify the systematic risks of political environment. Coty Inc. can closely analyze the following factors before entering or investing in a certain market-
- Political stability and importance of Personal Products sector in the country's economy.
- Risk of military invasion
- Level of corruption - especially levels of regulation in Consumer Goods sector.
- Bureaucracy and interference in Personal Products industry by government.
- Legal framework for contract enforcement
- Intellectual property protection
- Trade regulations & tariffs related to Consumer Goods
- Favored trading partners
- Anti-trust laws related to Personal Products
- Pricing regulations – Are there any pricing regulatory mechanism for Consumer Goods
- Taxation - tax rates and incentives
- Wage legislation - minimum wage and overtime
- Work week regulations in Personal Products
- Mandatory employee benefits
- Industrial safety regulations in the Consumer Goods sector.
- Product labeling and other requirements in Personal Products
Economic Factors that Impact Coty Inc.
The Macro environment factors such as – inflation rate, savings rate, interest rate, foreign exchange rate and economic cycle determine the aggregate demand and aggregate investment in an economy. While micro environment factors such as competition norms impact the competitive advantage of the firm. Coty Inc. can use country’s economic factor such as growth rate, inflation & industry’s economic indicators such as Personal Products industry growth rate, consumer spending etc to forecast the growth trajectory of not only --sectoryname-- sector but also that of the organization. Economic factors that Coty Inc. should consider while conducting PESTEL analysis are -
- Government intervention in the free market and related Consumer Goods
- Exchange rates & stability of host country currency.
- Efficiency of financial markets – Does Coty Inc. needs to raise capital in local market?
- Infrastructure quality in Personal Products industry
- Comparative advantages of host country and Consumer Goods sector in the particular country.
- Skill level of workforce in Personal Products industry.
- Education level in the economy
- Labor costs and productivity in the economy
- Business cycle stage (e.g. prosperity, recession, recovery)
- Economic growth rate
- Discretionary income
- Unemployment rate
- Inflation rate
- Interest rates
Social Factors that Impact Coty Inc.
Society’s culture and way of doing things impact the culture of an organization in an environment. Shared beliefs and attitudes of the population play a great role in how marketers at Coty Inc. will understand the customers of a given market and how they design the marketing message for Personal Products industry consumers. Social factors that leadership of Coty Inc. should analyze for PESTEL analysis are -
- Demographics and skill level of the population
- Class structure, hierarchy and power structure in the society.
- Education level as well as education standard in the Coty Inc. ’s industry
- Culture (gender roles, social conventions etc.)
- Attitudes (health, environmental consciousness, etc.)
- Leisure interests
Technological Factors that Impact Coty Inc.
A firm should not only do technological analysis of the industry but also the speed at which technology disrupts that industry. Slow speed will give more time while fast speed of technological disruption may give a firm little time to cope and be profitable. Technology analysis involves understanding the following impacts -
- Recent technological developments by Coty Inc. competitors
- Technology's impact on product offering
- Impact on cost structure in Personal Products industry
- Impact on value chain structure in Consumer Goods sector
- Rate of technological diffusion
Article continues after ad
Environmental Factors that Impact Coty Inc.
Before entering new markets or starting a new business in existing market the firm should carefully evaluate the environmental standards that are required to operate in those markets. Some of the environmental factors that a firm should consider beforehand are -
- Climate change
- Laws regulating environment pollution
- Air and water pollution regulations in Personal Products industry
- Waste management in Consumer Goods sector
- Attitudes toward “green” or ecological products
- Endangered species
- Attitudes toward and support for renewable energy
Legal Factors that Impact Coty Inc.
In number of countries, the legal framework and institutions are not robust enough to protect the intellectual property rights of an organization. A firm should carefully evaluate before entering such markets as it can lead to theft of organization’s secret sauce thus the overall competitive edge. Some of the legal factors that Coty Inc. leadership should consider while entering a new market are -
- Anti-trust law in Personal Products industry and overall in the country.
- Discrimination law
- Copyright, patents / Intellectual property law
- Consumer protection and e-commerce
- Employment law
- Health and safety law
- Data Protection
You can order Coty Inc. PESTEL and Environment Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Box. Inc.: Preserving Start-Up Culture in a Rapidly Growing Company case study solution
- Dressen (Abridged) (A) case study solution
- ABB in the New Millennium: New Leadership, New Strategy, New Organization case study solution
- Chongqing Peace Medical Corporation Ltd (B): Charting a Strategy in China's Rapidly Changing Health-Care Environment case study solution
- Mall of America case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Cott Corporation PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Columbia Sportswear Company PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Consolidated PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Coach, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Core Molding Technologies, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
Next 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Campbell Soup Company PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Cooper-Standard Holdings Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Cresud Sociedad Anonima Comercial, Inmobiliaria, Financiera y Agropecuaria PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Carter's, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Crocs, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis