Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. PESTEL analysis is a strategic tool to analyze the macro environment of the organization. PESTEL stands for - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal factors that impact the macro environment of Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A..
Changes in the macro-environment factors can have a direct impact on not only the Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. but also can impact other players in the Gas Utilities. The macro-environment factors can impact the Porter Five Forces that shape strategy and competitive landscape. They can impact individual firm’s competitive advantage or overall profitability levels of the Utilities industry.
Article continues after ad
PESTEL analysis provides great detail about operating challenges Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. will face in prevalent macro environment other than competitive forces. For example an Industry may be highly profitable with a strong growth trajectory but it won't be any good for Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. if it is situated in unstable political environment.
Spanish oil giant Repsol had to face a similar instance. It started an above average profitability operations in Argentina and made strong returns in 5-7 years. But the business was later expropriated by the Left Wing government. So the decade long profits didn’t materialize in the end.
Order Now - Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
Political Factors that Impact Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A.
Political factors play a significant role in determining the factors that can impact Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A.'s long term profitability in a certain country or market. Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. is operating in Gas Utilities in more than dozen countries and expose itself to different types of political environment and political system risks. The achieve success in such a dynamic Gas Utilities industry across various countries is to diversify the systematic risks of political environment. Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. can closely analyze the following factors before entering or investing in a certain market-
- Political stability and importance of Gas Utilities sector in the country's economy.
- Risk of military invasion
- Level of corruption - especially levels of regulation in Utilities sector.
- Bureaucracy and interference in Gas Utilities industry by government.
- Legal framework for contract enforcement
- Intellectual property protection
- Trade regulations & tariffs related to Utilities
- Favored trading partners
- Anti-trust laws related to Gas Utilities
- Pricing regulations – Are there any pricing regulatory mechanism for Utilities
- Taxation - tax rates and incentives
- Wage legislation - minimum wage and overtime
- Work week regulations in Gas Utilities
- Mandatory employee benefits
- Industrial safety regulations in the Utilities sector.
- Product labeling and other requirements in Gas Utilities
Economic Factors that Impact Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A.
The Macro environment factors such as – inflation rate, savings rate, interest rate, foreign exchange rate and economic cycle determine the aggregate demand and aggregate investment in an economy. While micro environment factors such as competition norms impact the competitive advantage of the firm. Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. can use country’s economic factor such as growth rate, inflation & industry’s economic indicators such as Gas Utilities industry growth rate, consumer spending etc to forecast the growth trajectory of not only --sectoryname-- sector but also that of the organization. Economic factors that Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. should consider while conducting PESTEL analysis are -
- Government intervention in the free market and related Utilities
- Exchange rates & stability of host country currency.
- Efficiency of financial markets – Does Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. needs to raise capital in local market?
- Infrastructure quality in Gas Utilities industry
- Comparative advantages of host country and Utilities sector in the particular country.
- Skill level of workforce in Gas Utilities industry.
- Education level in the economy
- Labor costs and productivity in the economy
- Business cycle stage (e.g. prosperity, recession, recovery)
- Economic growth rate
- Discretionary income
- Unemployment rate
- Inflation rate
- Interest rates
Social Factors that Impact Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A.
Society’s culture and way of doing things impact the culture of an organization in an environment. Shared beliefs and attitudes of the population play a great role in how marketers at Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. will understand the customers of a given market and how they design the marketing message for Gas Utilities industry consumers. Social factors that leadership of Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. should analyze for PESTEL analysis are -
- Demographics and skill level of the population
- Class structure, hierarchy and power structure in the society.
- Education level as well as education standard in the Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. ’s industry
- Culture (gender roles, social conventions etc.)
- Attitudes (health, environmental consciousness, etc.)
- Leisure interests
Technological Factors that Impact Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A.
A firm should not only do technological analysis of the industry but also the speed at which technology disrupts that industry. Slow speed will give more time while fast speed of technological disruption may give a firm little time to cope and be profitable. Technology analysis involves understanding the following impacts -
- Recent technological developments by Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. competitors
- Technology's impact on product offering
- Impact on cost structure in Gas Utilities industry
- Impact on value chain structure in Utilities sector
- Rate of technological diffusion
Article continues after ad
Environmental Factors that Impact Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A.
Before entering new markets or starting a new business in existing market the firm should carefully evaluate the environmental standards that are required to operate in those markets. Some of the environmental factors that a firm should consider beforehand are -
- Climate change
- Laws regulating environment pollution
- Air and water pollution regulations in Gas Utilities industry
- Waste management in Utilities sector
- Attitudes toward “green” or ecological products
- Endangered species
- Attitudes toward and support for renewable energy
Legal Factors that Impact Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A.
In number of countries, the legal framework and institutions are not robust enough to protect the intellectual property rights of an organization. A firm should carefully evaluate before entering such markets as it can lead to theft of organization’s secret sauce thus the overall competitive edge. Some of the legal factors that Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. leadership should consider while entering a new market are -
- Anti-trust law in Gas Utilities industry and overall in the country.
- Discrimination law
- Copyright, patents / Intellectual property law
- Consumer protection and e-commerce
- Employment law
- Health and safety law
- Data Protection
You can order Transportadora de Gas Del Sur S.A. PESTEL and Environment Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Pacific Dunlop China (A): Beijing case study solution
- Leasing Computers at Persistent Learning case study solution
- Statements of Cash Flows: Three International Examples case study solution
- Netflix in India: The Way Ahead case study solution
- Zhu Dandan (A): Promotions case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- TerraForm Power, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- TransAlta Corporation PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Southcross Energy Partners, L.P. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Southwest Gas Holdings, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Sempra Energy PESTEL & Environment Analysis