Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Fogo de Chao, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
Fogo de Chao, Inc. PESTEL analysis is a strategic tool to analyze the macro environment of the organization. PESTEL stands for - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal factors that impact the macro environment of Fogo de Chao, Inc..
Changes in the macro-environment factors can have a direct impact on not only the Fogo de Chao, Inc. but also can impact other players in the Restaurants. The macro-environment factors can impact the Porter Five Forces that shape strategy and competitive landscape. They can impact individual firm’s competitive advantage or overall profitability levels of the Services industry.
Article continues after ad
PESTEL analysis provides great detail about operating challenges Fogo de Chao, Inc. will face in prevalent macro environment other than competitive forces. For example an Industry may be highly profitable with a strong growth trajectory but it won't be any good for Fogo de Chao, Inc. if it is situated in unstable political environment.
Spanish oil giant Repsol had to face a similar instance. It started an above average profitability operations in Argentina and made strong returns in 5-7 years. But the business was later expropriated by the Left Wing government. So the decade long profits didn’t materialize in the end.
Order Now - Fogo de Chao, Inc. Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
Political Factors that Impact Fogo de Chao, Inc.
Political factors play a significant role in determining the factors that can impact Fogo de Chao, Inc.'s long term profitability in a certain country or market. Fogo de Chao, Inc. is operating in Restaurants in more than dozen countries and expose itself to different types of political environment and political system risks. The achieve success in such a dynamic Restaurants industry across various countries is to diversify the systematic risks of political environment. Fogo de Chao, Inc. can closely analyze the following factors before entering or investing in a certain market-
- Political stability and importance of Restaurants sector in the country's economy.
- Risk of military invasion
- Level of corruption - especially levels of regulation in Services sector.
- Bureaucracy and interference in Restaurants industry by government.
- Legal framework for contract enforcement
- Intellectual property protection
- Trade regulations & tariffs related to Services
- Favored trading partners
- Anti-trust laws related to Restaurants
- Pricing regulations – Are there any pricing regulatory mechanism for Services
- Taxation - tax rates and incentives
- Wage legislation - minimum wage and overtime
- Work week regulations in Restaurants
- Mandatory employee benefits
- Industrial safety regulations in the Services sector.
- Product labeling and other requirements in Restaurants
Economic Factors that Impact Fogo de Chao, Inc.
The Macro environment factors such as – inflation rate, savings rate, interest rate, foreign exchange rate and economic cycle determine the aggregate demand and aggregate investment in an economy. While micro environment factors such as competition norms impact the competitive advantage of the firm. Fogo de Chao, Inc. can use country’s economic factor such as growth rate, inflation & industry’s economic indicators such as Restaurants industry growth rate, consumer spending etc to forecast the growth trajectory of not only --sectoryname-- sector but also that of the organization. Economic factors that Fogo de Chao, Inc. should consider while conducting PESTEL analysis are -
- Government intervention in the free market and related Services
- Exchange rates & stability of host country currency.
- Efficiency of financial markets – Does Fogo de Chao, Inc. needs to raise capital in local market?
- Infrastructure quality in Restaurants industry
- Comparative advantages of host country and Services sector in the particular country.
- Skill level of workforce in Restaurants industry.
- Education level in the economy
- Labor costs and productivity in the economy
- Business cycle stage (e.g. prosperity, recession, recovery)
- Economic growth rate
- Discretionary income
- Unemployment rate
- Inflation rate
- Interest rates
Social Factors that Impact Fogo de Chao, Inc.
Society’s culture and way of doing things impact the culture of an organization in an environment. Shared beliefs and attitudes of the population play a great role in how marketers at Fogo de Chao, Inc. will understand the customers of a given market and how they design the marketing message for Restaurants industry consumers. Social factors that leadership of Fogo de Chao, Inc. should analyze for PESTEL analysis are -
- Demographics and skill level of the population
- Class structure, hierarchy and power structure in the society.
- Education level as well as education standard in the Fogo de Chao, Inc. ’s industry
- Culture (gender roles, social conventions etc.)
- Attitudes (health, environmental consciousness, etc.)
- Leisure interests
Technological Factors that Impact Fogo de Chao, Inc.
A firm should not only do technological analysis of the industry but also the speed at which technology disrupts that industry. Slow speed will give more time while fast speed of technological disruption may give a firm little time to cope and be profitable. Technology analysis involves understanding the following impacts -
- Recent technological developments by Fogo de Chao, Inc. competitors
- Technology's impact on product offering
- Impact on cost structure in Restaurants industry
- Impact on value chain structure in Services sector
- Rate of technological diffusion
Article continues after ad
Environmental Factors that Impact Fogo de Chao, Inc.
Before entering new markets or starting a new business in existing market the firm should carefully evaluate the environmental standards that are required to operate in those markets. Some of the environmental factors that a firm should consider beforehand are -
- Climate change
- Laws regulating environment pollution
- Air and water pollution regulations in Restaurants industry
- Waste management in Services sector
- Attitudes toward “green” or ecological products
- Endangered species
- Attitudes toward and support for renewable energy
Legal Factors that Impact Fogo de Chao, Inc.
In number of countries, the legal framework and institutions are not robust enough to protect the intellectual property rights of an organization. A firm should carefully evaluate before entering such markets as it can lead to theft of organization’s secret sauce thus the overall competitive edge. Some of the legal factors that Fogo de Chao, Inc. leadership should consider while entering a new market are -
- Anti-trust law in Restaurants industry and overall in the country.
- Discrimination law
- Copyright, patents / Intellectual property law
- Consumer protection and e-commerce
- Employment law
- Health and safety law
- Data Protection
You can order Fogo de Chao, Inc. PESTEL and Environment Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Merck: Global Health and Access to Medicines case study solution
- Mustika Ratu: Navigating Through Social and Economic Crisis case study solution
- Atlantic Corp. (Abridged) case study solution
- Ascent Media Group (A) case study solution
- Feedback: The Broken Loop in Higher Education - and How to Fix It case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Floor & Decor Holdings, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- FLY Leasing Limited PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- FleetCor Technologies, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Full House Resorts, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis