Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
SIFCO Industries, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
Strategic Management Essays, Term Papers & Presentations
SIFCO Industries, Inc. PESTEL analysis is a strategic tool to analyze the macro environment of the organization. PESTEL stands for - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal factors that impact the macro environment of SIFCO Industries, Inc..
Changes in the macro-environment factors can have a direct impact on not only the SIFCO Industries, Inc. but also can impact other players in the Metal Fabrication. The macro-environment factors can impact the Porter Five Forces that shape strategy and competitive landscape. They can impact individual firm’s competitive advantage or overall profitability levels of the Industrial Goods industry.
Article continues after ad
PESTEL analysis provides great detail about operating challenges SIFCO Industries, Inc. will face in prevalent macro environment other than competitive forces. For example an Industry may be highly profitable with a strong growth trajectory but it won't be any good for SIFCO Industries, Inc. if it is situated in unstable political environment.
Spanish oil giant Repsol had to face a similar instance. It started an above average profitability operations in Argentina and made strong returns in 5-7 years. But the business was later expropriated by the Left Wing government. So the decade long profits didn’t materialize in the end.
Order Now - SIFCO Industries, Inc. Porter 5 Forces Analysis & Industry Analysis
Political Factors that Impact SIFCO Industries, Inc.
Political factors play a significant role in determining the factors that can impact SIFCO Industries, Inc.'s long term profitability in a certain country or market. SIFCO Industries, Inc. is operating in Metal Fabrication in more than dozen countries and expose itself to different types of political environment and political system risks. The achieve success in such a dynamic Metal Fabrication industry across various countries is to diversify the systematic risks of political environment. SIFCO Industries, Inc. can closely analyze the following factors before entering or investing in a certain market-
- Political stability and importance of Metal Fabrication sector in the country's economy.
- Risk of military invasion
- Level of corruption - especially levels of regulation in Industrial Goods sector.
- Bureaucracy and interference in Metal Fabrication industry by government.
- Legal framework for contract enforcement
- Intellectual property protection
- Trade regulations & tariffs related to Industrial Goods
- Favored trading partners
- Anti-trust laws related to Metal Fabrication
- Pricing regulations – Are there any pricing regulatory mechanism for Industrial Goods
- Taxation - tax rates and incentives
- Wage legislation - minimum wage and overtime
- Work week regulations in Metal Fabrication
- Mandatory employee benefits
- Industrial safety regulations in the Industrial Goods sector.
- Product labeling and other requirements in Metal Fabrication
Economic Factors that Impact SIFCO Industries, Inc.
The Macro environment factors such as – inflation rate, savings rate, interest rate, foreign exchange rate and economic cycle determine the aggregate demand and aggregate investment in an economy. While micro environment factors such as competition norms impact the competitive advantage of the firm. SIFCO Industries, Inc. can use country’s economic factor such as growth rate, inflation & industry’s economic indicators such as Metal Fabrication industry growth rate, consumer spending etc to forecast the growth trajectory of not only --sectoryname-- sector but also that of the organization. Economic factors that SIFCO Industries, Inc. should consider while conducting PESTEL analysis are -
- Type of economic system in countries of operation – what type of economic system there is and how stable it is.
- Government intervention in the free market and related Industrial Goods
- Exchange rates & stability of host country currency.
- Efficiency of financial markets – Does SIFCO Industries, Inc. needs to raise capital in local market?
- Infrastructure quality in Metal Fabrication industry
- Comparative advantages of host country and Industrial Goods sector in the particular country.
- Skill level of workforce in Metal Fabrication industry.
- Education level in the economy
- Labor costs and productivity in the economy
- Business cycle stage (e.g. prosperity, recession, recovery)
- Economic growth rate
- Discretionary income
- Unemployment rate
- Inflation rate
- Interest rates
Social Factors that Impact SIFCO Industries, Inc.
Society’s culture and way of doing things impact the culture of an organization in an environment. Shared beliefs and attitudes of the population play a great role in how marketers at SIFCO Industries, Inc. will understand the customers of a given market and how they design the marketing message for Metal Fabrication industry consumers. Social factors that leadership of SIFCO Industries, Inc. should analyze for PESTEL analysis are -
- Demographics and skill level of the population
- Class structure, hierarchy and power structure in the society.
- Education level as well as education standard in the SIFCO Industries, Inc. ’s industry
- Culture (gender roles, social conventions etc.)
- Entrepreneurial spirit and broader nature of the society. Some societies encourage entrepreneurship while some don’t.
- Attitudes (health, environmental consciousness, etc.)
- Leisure interests
Technological Factors that Impact SIFCO Industries, Inc.
Technology is fast disrupting various industries across the board. Transportation industry is a good case to illustrate this point. Over the last 5 years the industry has been transforming really fast, not even giving chance to the established players to cope with the changes. Taxi industry is now dominated by players like Uber and Lyft. Car industry is fast moving toward automation led by technology firm such as Google & manufacturing is disrupted by Tesla, which has stated an electronic car revolution.
A firm should not only do technological analysis of the industry but also the speed at which technology disrupts that industry. Slow speed will give more time while fast speed of technological disruption may give a firm little time to cope and be profitable. Technology analysis involves understanding the following impacts -
- Recent technological developments by SIFCO Industries, Inc. competitors
- Technology's impact on product offering
- Impact on cost structure in Metal Fabrication industry
- Impact on value chain structure in Industrial Goods sector
- Rate of technological diffusion
Article continues after ad
Environmental Factors that Impact SIFCO Industries, Inc.
Different markets have different norms or environmental standards which can impact the profitability of an organization in those markets. Even within a country often states can have different environmental laws and liability laws. For example in United States – Texas and Florida have different liability clauses in case of mishaps or environmental disaster. Similarly a lot of European countries give healthy tax breaks to companies that operate in the renewable sector.
Before entering new markets or starting a new business in existing market the firm should carefully evaluate the environmental standards that are required to operate in those markets. Some of the environmental factors that a firm should consider beforehand are -
- Climate change
- Laws regulating environment pollution
- Air and water pollution regulations in Metal Fabrication industry
- Waste management in Industrial Goods sector
- Attitudes toward “green” or ecological products
- Endangered species
- Attitudes toward and support for renewable energy
Legal Factors that Impact SIFCO Industries, Inc.
In number of countries, the legal framework and institutions are not robust enough to protect the intellectual property rights of an organization. A firm should carefully evaluate before entering such markets as it can lead to theft of organization’s secret sauce thus the overall competitive edge. Some of the legal factors that SIFCO Industries, Inc. leadership should consider while entering a new market are -
- Anti-trust law in Metal Fabrication industry and overall in the country.
- Discrimination law
- Copyright, patents / Intellectual property law
- Consumer protection and e-commerce
- Employment law
- Health and safety law
- Data Protection
You can order SIFCO Industries, Inc. PESTEL and Environment Analysis with us at Fern Fort University.
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Hermes Paris case study solution
- IBM's Decade of Transformation: Uniting Vision and Values case study solution
- The Pebble Mine (D): Northern Dynasty case study solution
- Building Electronic Commerce Infrastructure: Hong Kong Consumer Goods Distribution (A) case study solution
- Podium Data: Harnessing the Power of Big Data Analytics case study solution
Previous 5 Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Shiloh Industries, Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- The L.S. Starrett Company PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Rayonier Inc. PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Ryerson Holding Corporation PESTEL & Environment Analysis
- Rexnord Corporation PESTEL & Environment Analysis