Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies Case Study Analysis & Solution
Harvard Business Case Studies Solutions - Assignment Help
General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies is a Harvard Business (HBR) Case Study on Finance & Accounting , Fern Fort University provides HBR case study assignment help for just $11. Our case solution is based on Case Study Method expertise & our global insights.
Finance & Accounting Case Study | Authors :: Peter Tufano, Markus F. Mullarkey, William J. Wildern
Case Study Description
The second in a four-part series, the case details the financial policies and practices at General Motors from 1990 to 1996. This part describes the stated financial policies of the firm, including its approach to capital structure, liability structure, equity structure, dividends, cash balances, and risk management.
Costs, Financial markets, Risk management
[10 Steps] Case Study Analysis & Solution
Step 1 - Reading up Harvard Business Review Fundamentals on the Finance & Accounting
Even before you start reading a business case study just make sure that you have brushed up the Harvard Business Review (HBR) fundamentals on the Finance & Accounting. Brushing up HBR fundamentals will provide a strong base for investigative reading. Often readers scan through the business case study without having a clear map in mind. This leads to unstructured learning process resulting in missed details and at worse wrong conclusions. Reading up the HBR fundamentals helps in sketching out business case study analysis and solution roadmap even before you start reading the case study. It also provides starting ideas as fundamentals often provide insight into some of the aspects that may not be covered in the business case study itself.
Step 2 - Reading the General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies HBR Case Study
My case study strategy involves -
- Marking out the protagonist and key players in the case study from the very start.
- Drawing a motivation chart of the key players and their priorities from the case study description.
- Evaluate each detail in the case study in light of the HBR case study analysis core ideas.
Step 3 - General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies Case Study Analysis
Step 4 - SWOT Analysis of General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies
- Zero down on the central problem and two to five related problems in the case study.
- Do the SWOT analysis of the General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies . SWOT analysis is a strategic tool to map out the strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats that a firm is facing.
- SWOT analysis and SWOT Matrix will help you to clearly mark out - Strengths Weakness Opportunities & Threats that the organization or manager is facing in the General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies
- SWOT analysis will also provide a priority list of problem to be solved.
- You can also do a weighted SWOT analysis of General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies HBR case study.
Step 5 - Porter 5 Forces / Strategic Analysis of Industry Analysis General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies
Step 6 - PESTEL, PEST / STEP Analysis of General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies
Another way of understanding the external environment of the firm in General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies is to do a PESTEL - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal analysis of the environment the firm operates in. You should make a list of factors that have significant impact on the organization and factors that drive growth in the industry. You can even identify the source of firm's competitive advantage based on PESTEL analysis and Organization's Core Competencies.
Step 7 - Organizing & Prioritizing the Analysis into General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies Case Study Solution
Step 8 -Implementation Framework
- Detailed understanding of the case,
- Clarity of HBR case study fundamentals,
- Analyzed case details based on those fundamentals and
Implementation framework helps in weeding out non actionable recommendations, resulting in awesome General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies case study solution.
Step 9 - Take a Break
Step 10 - Critically Examine General Motors Corp. (B): Financial Policies case study solution
Previous 5 HBR Case Study Solution
- Option Valuation and Dividend Payments Case Study Solution
- ISS A/S: The Buyout Case Study Solution
- Microsoft: Xbox Division Case Study Solution
- Nephila Builds a Portfolio of Weather Risk Transfer Contracts Case Study Solution
- Kmart and ESL Investments (B): The Sears Merger Case Study Solution