Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt Case Study Analysis & Solution
Harvard Business Case Studies Solutions - Assignment Help
Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt is a Harvard Business (HBR) Case Study on Finance & Accounting , Fern Fort University provides HBR case study assignment help for just $11. Our case solution is based on Case Study Method expertise & our global insights.
Finance & Accounting Case Study | Authors :: Muntazar B. Ahmed
Case Study Description
The case describes how a very large intra-corporate debt was built up in Pakistan, among the private and public sector energy and power generation companies that were some of the country's largest organizations. An unexpected slowdown in recovery of bills created a debt that affected corporate business operations, and the Pakistani economy as a whole. The energy and power sectors are discussed, as are the reasons for this circular debt. The Pakistani government was heavily involved in regulating the energy and power sectors; in 2008, to respond to high oil prices a subsidy was provided to keep the price of diesel low. The government, however, had not created an effective plan to recover these funds, and when large public sector enterprises (PSEs) such as Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) did not pay their bills, no action was taken. The focus of this case is on resolving the very large amounts of debt that had accumulated in various energy companies. A secondary analysis can explore the impact of regulation on the operations of oil companies.
Government, International business, Performance measurement, Recession, Strategy
[10 Steps] Case Study Analysis & Solution
Step 1 - Reading up Harvard Business Review Fundamentals on the Finance & Accounting
Even before you start reading a business case study just make sure that you have brushed up the Harvard Business Review (HBR) fundamentals on the Finance & Accounting. Brushing up HBR fundamentals will provide a strong base for investigative reading. Often readers scan through the business case study without having a clear map in mind. This leads to unstructured learning process resulting in missed details and at worse wrong conclusions. Reading up the HBR fundamentals helps in sketching out business case study analysis and solution roadmap even before you start reading the case study. It also provides starting ideas as fundamentals often provide insight into some of the aspects that may not be covered in the business case study itself.
Step 2 - Reading the Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt HBR Case Study
To write an emphatic case study analysis and provide pragmatic and actionable solutions, you must have a strong grasps of the facts and the central problem of the HBR case study. Begin slowly - underline the details and sketch out the business case study description map. In some cases you will able to find the central problem in the beginning itself while in others it may be in the end in form of questions. Business case study paragraph by paragraph mapping will help you in organizing the information correctly and provide a clear guide to go back to the case study if you need further information.
My case study strategy involves -
- Marking out the protagonist and key players in the case study from the very start.
- Drawing a motivation chart of the key players and their priorities from the case study description.
- Refine the central problem the protagonist is facing in the case and how it relates to the HBR fundamentals on the topic.
- Evaluate each detail in the case study in light of the HBR case study analysis core ideas.
Step 3 - Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt Case Study Analysis
Once you are comfortable with the details and objective of the business case study proceed forward to put some details into the analysis template. You can do business case study analysis by following Fern Fort University step by step instructions -
- Company history is provided in the first half of the case. You can use this history to draw a growth path and illustrate vision, mission and strategic objectives of the organization. Often history is provided in the case not only to provide a background to the problem but also provide the scope of the solution that you can write for the case study.
- HBR case studies provide anecdotal instances from managers and employees in the organization to give a feel of real situation on the ground. Use these instances and opinions to mark out the organization's culture, its people priorities & inhibitions.
- Make a time line of the events and issues in the case study. Time line can provide the clue for the next step in organization's journey. Time line also provides an insight into the progressive challenges the company is facing in the case study.
Step 4 - SWOT Analysis of Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt
Once you finished the case analysis, time line of the events and other critical details. Focus on the following -
- Zero down on the central problem and two to five related problems in the case study.
- Do the SWOT analysis of the Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt . SWOT analysis is a strategic tool to map out the strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats that a firm is facing.
- SWOT analysis and SWOT Matrix will help you to clearly mark out - Strengths Weakness Opportunities & Threats that the organization or manager is facing in the Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt
- SWOT analysis will also provide a priority list of problem to be solved.
- You can also do a weighted SWOT analysis of Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt HBR case study.
Step 5 - Porter 5 Forces / Strategic Analysis of Industry Analysis Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt
In our live classes we often come across business managers who pinpoint one problem in the case and build a case study analysis and solution around that singular point. Business environments are often complex and require holistic solutions. You should try to understand not only the organization but also the industry which the business operates in. Porter Five Forces is a strategic analysis tool that will help you in understanding the relative powers of the key players in the business case study and what sort of pragmatic and actionable case study solution is viable in the light of given facts.
Step 6 - PESTEL, PEST / STEP Analysis of Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt
Another way of understanding the external environment of the firm in Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt is to do a PESTEL - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal analysis of the environment the firm operates in. You should make a list of factors that have significant impact on the organization and factors that drive growth in the industry. You can even identify the source of firm's competitive advantage based on PESTEL analysis and Organization's Core Competencies.
Step 7 - Organizing & Prioritizing the Analysis into Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt Case Study Solution
Once you have developed multipronged approach and work out various suggestions based on the strategic tools. The next step is organizing the solution based on the requirement of the case. You can use the following strategy to organize the findings and suggestions.
- Build a corporate level strategy - organizing your findings and recommendations in a way to answer the larger strategic objective of the firm. It include using the analysis to answer the company's vision, mission and key objectives , and how your suggestions will take the company to next level in achieving those goals.
- Business Unit Level Solution - The case study may put you in a position of a marketing manager of a small brand. So instead of providing recommendations for overall company you need to specify the marketing objectives of that particular brand. You have to recommend business unit level recommendations. The scope of the recommendations will be limited to the particular unit but you have to take care of the fact that your recommendations are don't directly contradict the company's overall strategy. For example you can recommend a low cost strategy but the company core competency is design differentiation.
- Case study solutions can also provide recommendation for the business manager or leader described in the business case study.
Step 8 -Implementation Framework
The goal of the business case study is not only to identify problems and recommend solutions but also to provide a framework to implement those case study solutions. Implementation framework differentiates good case study solutions from great case study solutions. If you able to provide a detailed implementation framework then you have successfully achieved the following objectives -
- Detailed understanding of the case,
- Clarity of HBR case study fundamentals,
- Analyzed case details based on those fundamentals and
- Developed an ability to prioritize recommendations based on probability of their successful implementation.
Implementation framework helps in weeding out non actionable recommendations, resulting in awesome Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt case study solution.
Step 9 - Take a Break
Once you finished the case study implementation framework. Take a small break, grab a cup of coffee or whatever you like, go for a walk or just shoot some hoops.
Step 10 - Critically Examine Pak Arab Refinery Limited (PARCO) - Management of Circular Debt case study solution
After refreshing your mind, read your case study solution critically. When we are writing case study solution we often have details on our screen as well as in our head. This leads to either missing details or poor sentence structures. Once refreshed go through the case solution again - improve sentence structures and grammar, double check the numbers provided in your analysis and question your recommendations. Be very slow with this process as rushing through it leads to missing key details. Once done it is time to hit the attach button.
Previous 5 HBR Case Study Solution
- Octane Service Station, Spanish Version Case Study Solution
- Valjibhai Stones Case Study Solution
- Chad-Cameroon Petroleum Development and Pipeline Project (B) Case Study Solution
- Ocean & Oil Holdings and the Leveraged Buyout of Agip Nigeria (A) Case Study Solution
- Ultra: The Quest for Leadership (A) Case Study Solution
Next 5 HBR Case Study Solution
- China Metal Recycling Holdings Limited: Scrap King Gets Scrapped Case Study Solution
- International Rivers Network and the Bujagali Dam Project (A), Chinese Version Case Study Solution
- Molycorp: Morgan Brothers' Reverse Convertible Notes (C) Case Study Solution
- Mobil USM&R (A1) Case Study Solution
- Copper and Zinc Markets--1996 Case Study Solution