Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality Case Study Analysis & Solution
Harvard Business Case Studies Solutions - Assignment Help
McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality is a Harvard Business (HBR) Case Study on Strategy & Execution , Fern Fort University provides HBR case study assignment help for just $11. Our case solution is based on Case Study Method expertise & our global insights.
Strategy & Execution Case Study | Authors :: Jana Seijts, Paul Bigus
Case Study Description
In early January 2012, the director of social media for the McDonald's Corporation (McDonald's) was challenged with a tall order. The corporation had just launched a large public relations campaign using the Twitter hashtag "#MeetTheFarmers" to promote connections with family farms and local suppliers. Maximizing a Twitter Promoted Trends expenditure, the director had switched the hashtag from "#MeetTheFarmers" to "#McDStories" halfway through the first day of the campaign. However, numerous detractors used the hashtag to express negative comments towards the corporation. A few days later, the media started to run negative coverage with mocking headlines and articles providing screenshots of the negative tweets but no statistics that explained or put proper context to the situation. The director needed to devise a better strategy for McDonald's social media campaigns in order to prevent potential media fallouts.
[10 Steps] Case Study Analysis & Solution
Step 1 - Reading up Harvard Business Review Fundamentals on the Strategy & Execution
Even before you start reading a business case study just make sure that you have brushed up the Harvard Business Review (HBR) fundamentals on the Strategy & Execution. Brushing up HBR fundamentals will provide a strong base for investigative reading. Often readers scan through the business case study without having a clear map in mind. This leads to unstructured learning process resulting in missed details and at worse wrong conclusions. Reading up the HBR fundamentals helps in sketching out business case study analysis and solution roadmap even before you start reading the case study. It also provides starting ideas as fundamentals often provide insight into some of the aspects that may not be covered in the business case study itself.
Step 2 - Reading the McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality HBR Case Study
My case study strategy involves -
- Marking out the protagonist and key players in the case study from the very start.
- Drawing a motivation chart of the key players and their priorities from the case study description.
- Evaluate each detail in the case study in light of the HBR case study analysis core ideas.
Step 3 - McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality Case Study Analysis
Step 4 - SWOT Analysis of McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality
- Zero down on the central problem and two to five related problems in the case study.
- Do the SWOT analysis of the McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality . SWOT analysis is a strategic tool to map out the strengths, weakness, opportunities and threats that a firm is facing.
- SWOT analysis and SWOT Matrix will help you to clearly mark out - Strengths Weakness Opportunities & Threats that the organization or manager is facing in the McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality
- SWOT analysis will also provide a priority list of problem to be solved.
- You can also do a weighted SWOT analysis of McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality HBR case study.
Step 5 - Porter 5 Forces / Strategic Analysis of Industry Analysis McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality
Step 6 - PESTEL, PEST / STEP Analysis of McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality
Another way of understanding the external environment of the firm in McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality is to do a PESTEL - Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental & Legal analysis of the environment the firm operates in. You should make a list of factors that have significant impact on the organization and factors that drive growth in the industry. You can even identify the source of firm's competitive advantage based on PESTEL analysis and Organization's Core Competencies.
Step 7 - Organizing & Prioritizing the Analysis into McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality Case Study Solution
Step 8 -Implementation Framework
- Detailed understanding of the case,
- Clarity of HBR case study fundamentals,
- Analyzed case details based on those fundamentals and
Implementation framework helps in weeding out non actionable recommendations, resulting in awesome McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality case study solution.
Step 9 - Take a Break
Step 10 - Critically Examine McDonald's Twitter Campaign: Hype Versus Reality case study solution
Previous 5 HBR Case Study Solution
- Tricon Restaurants International: Globalization Re-examined Case Study Solution
- Experience-Wine.com: The Monte Lauro Vineyards Story Case Study Solution
- Hotel Latvia: Sell Out, Hang Out or Partner? Case Study Solution
- Sustaining Customer Centricity at Chateauform' Case Study Solution
- Wadeshwar Restaurants: Strategies for Growth Case Study Solution
Next 5 HBR Case Study Solution
- Taj Hotels, Resorts & Palaces: To Pierre or not to Pierre (B) Case Study Solution
- Selling Ready-to-Drink Tea in Southeast Asia: C2 Green Tea in Vietnam (B) Case Study Solution
- Bikanervala: A Never-ending Quest to Delight Customers Case Study Solution
- Eat Me: The World on Small Plates Case Study Solution
- The Beer Cases (B): Groupo Modelo Case Study Solution