Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) Case Study Memo
Case Study Recommendation Memo Assignment
At Fern Fort University, we write Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) case study recommendation memo as per the Harvard Business Review Communication case memo framework. If you are looking for MBA, Executive MBA or Corporate / Professional level recommendation memo then feel free to connect with us.
Other topics that can be covered in the above case memo are Financial markets, Manufacturing, Mergers & acquisitions, Supply chain . The recommendations in the case memo are - aligned with strategy of the company, based on robust data, and provide a clear roadmap for execution.
Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) Description
Communication Case Study | Authors :: Gerry Yemen, Elliott N. Weiss, Paul J Simko, Marc W. Modica
With a cross-disciplinary perspective, this field-based case series uses the purchase of a manufacturing company based in China to set the stage for an analysis of cost accounting, operational effectiveness, and cross-cultural communication. It offers a discussion about the strategy to purchase a Chinese firm to enter a promising business line for the Chinese market and provides an opportunity to introduce basic accounting, management communication, and operational terms that can be explored in following classes. The material includes an overview of a partnership between a Westerner and two Chinese executives, the issues they discovered through due diligence, plans to break into a new market, and their efforts to communicate lean manufacturing principles in another language and culture. If possible, inviting colleagues from accounting, communications, or operations to jointly teach the class enriches the discussion and provides an integrated learning experience. The A case opens with an overview of the capacitor factory in the province of Henan, China that Peer Nielsen, Baocheng Yang, and Zhihong Li are thinking about purchasing. They discovered several issues: workers' wages had gone unpaid for months, payroll taxes were years in arrears, one of the company's most profitable production lines had been "rented out." Not only were local competitors using its technology, some were producing the same capacitors under the China Star brand. Then there were the production lines that lacked raw materials and the huge unexplained power bill. But the political brass in the region was eager to see new owners purchase the factory with intent to manufacture and would provide the necessary permits and support to get started. Should the group buy it?
Financial markets, Manufacturing, Mergers & acquisitions, Supply chain
Purpose of Communication Case Study Recommendation Memo
A Case Study Memo or Case Study Recommendation Memo is a routinely used document in leading organizations, and you may be writing number of such memos to executive leadership to “sell” or elevate an initiative that either you are undertaking or you wanted to kick start. Therefore, it is essential that you have a professional case study recommendation memo.
The purpose of a recommendation memo is to concisely recommend a course of action and provide rationale supporting the recommendation. The case study recommendation memo is a one-two page document (not including exhibits) that recommends your course of action and rationale. This format promotes a concise and clear strategic thought process.
Elements of a Case Study Recommendation Memo for – MBA & Executive MBA
1. First Paragraph of Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) recommendation memo
- This paragraph expresses your intent or action that you required after reading the Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) case study (This recommends……).
- Topic overview of the case study (the “what”, not “when” or “how”): costs, funding, etc.
- Ends with the hook: selling idea, the “why” or payoff: this part reveals the author’s point of view. What you intend to do after reading the case and it clearly mention your decision.
2. Background of Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) case study
This paragraph explains why we are talking about this today. It lays out the story. It provides us details from the case story such as -
- Historical perspective on the problem is provided. Details are elaborated that underline the given problem.
- Highlights - what brought us to this moment, why we are in this position, what brought about the need to make this decision.
- Dimensionalize the importance of the problem to the organization and how it is impacting the organization.
- Constraints – Provide a situational analysis based on case study analysis.
- Keep the background section both factual and concise. It is part of the memo where we provide a brief insight into the problem and define the problem.
Is the background clear, concise, and easy to follow?
Does it explain why action is needed now?
Does the appropriate sense of urgency come across in the case study?
3. Recommendations for Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) Case Memo
Recommendations section will provide details regarding what is needed to be done, how it can be done, when to do it and who will do it. It can be elaborated with scenario planning as businesses
- The details of what, when and how. NO 'why'.
- This section should be very specific (100% clear). It must be actionable (How much will it cost, when, how, who). The reader should be able to read this and know how to carry out this recommendation.
- Some cases will require more than one recommendation. It often happens that the firm will require more than one recommendations as there are numerous unknown in the market place.
Is the recommendation clear and actionable? Does the firm has capability to implement the recommendations or does it needs to hire fresh talent?
4. Basis for the Recommendations
- Here the reader of the case memo will learn WHY each recommendation is the UNIQUE right thing to do.
- 2-3 solid reasons are typical. The reasons should be backed by clear logic, organization’s vision and mission statements, and robust data analysis.
- Orignal recommendation can be backed by few supporting roadmap to actions. In operations cases the Critical Path Method of PERT can be used to illustrate the point.
- Support includes impact on profit, share, and anything else that can affect long-term business goals of the firm.
- Analysis should address applicable quantitative issues such as NPV, break even analysis, pro forma statement of project budget, sensitivity analysis; as well as qualitative issues, such as, technology consistency, architectural conformance, innovation potential, etc.
- Appeals to precedent and anecdotal evidence in absence of data, but only in limited, carefully constrained manner.
- Shows how the recommendation will put the firm at a competitive advantage or is simply acompetitive necessity.
- The goal is to read the basis and conclude the recommendation.
- Is the recommendation an inescapable conclusion of the basis?
- Does the basis for recommendation appropriately consider:
1. Core competencies and consistency with mission?
2. External customers and internal clients?
4. Attractiveness – quantitative measures if applicable (e.g., NPV, ROI, break-even, payback)?
- Are all assumptions explicitly stated (e.g., needs, technology trends)?
- Outline other alternatives not selected and provide brief reasoning for doing so.
- Discuss risks and key assumptions for Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) case memo (use full disclosure, reference options grid) of your recommendation.
- When you give a precise number or range, you must support the basis as well.
- Is the analysis thorough with key alternatives fairly considered using options grid?
- Risks associated with recommendation for Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) are properly addressed given the present capabilities and future expectations?
6. Next Steps for Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) case study memo
- Clearly specify the roadmap of the execution. Provide specific date and action that are required to carry on the next steps.
- Task assignment, objectives, roles and metrics should be mentioned in advance to reduce ambiguity and replication. (what will be done, by whom, and by when)
- Clear follow-up/next steps?
- If appropriate, lay out timeline with key milestones to implement recommendation.
7. Exhibits for Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) case memo
- An Exhibit can be a data chart, map, graph, grid, or simple data table.
- While doing the calculations please mention all the assumptions. The reader won’t able to decipher each of the assumption so make them explicit.
- Exhibits should have Title, sources, footnotes to calculation. The point of the Exhibit should be instantly clear to the reader.
- Exhibits should be cited in the proper order (i.e., do not cite Exhibit 4 first in your Memo and then Exhibit 2).
Checklist for Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) case study memo exhibit
- Is the analysis presented in the case memo - precise, accurate, and data-based?
- Are the exhibits clearly laid out, titled, and referenced in the case study memo?
- Is every assumption mentioned in the case memo is explicitly listed?
NOTE: Every memo may not include every element described above. The specific case will dictate what must be included. For custom case memo please email us or process the order.
You can order Factory 539: China Star Technology Electronics Ltd (A) Case Study Recommendation Memo with us at Fern Fort University .
Next 5 Case Study Recommendation Memo
- The Trois Fois: Louise Duchamp v. 1.25 Case Study Recommendation Memo
- Roger Caracappa: Package Deals for the Estee Lauder Companies Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Real-Estate Investment Trusts Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Kent County Council: Implementing IT for E-Government Porter Five Forces Analysis
- "My Summer Internship" by Antar Al-Qawwee Porter Five Forces Analysis
Previous 5 Case Study Recommendation Memo
- Lulu.com Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Express Scripts: Promoting Prescription Drug Home Delivery (B) Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Marlene's Marvelous Adventure: Southwest Airlines Porter Five Forces Analysis
- King & Roberts (A) Porter Five Forces Analysis
- King & Roberts (B) Porter Five Forces Analysis
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- The Trois Fois: Louise Duchamp v. 1.25 case study solution
- Roger Caracappa: Package Deals for the Estee Lauder Companies case study solution
- Real-Estate Investment Trusts case study solution
- Kent County Council: Implementing IT for E-Government case study solution
- "My Summer Internship" by Antar Al-Qawwee case study solution