Order custom Harvard Business Case Study Analysis & Solution. Starting just $19
Blackberry 10 Case Study Memo
Case Study Recommendation Memo Assignment
At Fern Fort University, we write Blackberry 10 case study recommendation memo as per the Harvard Business Review Finance & Accounting case memo framework. If you are looking for MBA, Executive MBA or Corporate / Professional level recommendation memo then feel free to connect with us.
Other topics that can be covered in the above case memo are Financial analysis, IT, Operations management . The recommendations in the case memo are - aligned with strategy of the company, based on robust data, and provide a clear roadmap for execution.
Blackberry 10 Description
Finance & Accounting Case Study | Authors :: Mary Gillett, Morgan Hart
A well-reputed innovative technology company had introduced a new operating system and two new smartphone devices with the goal of turning around the company's slumping hardware sales. Despite positive product reviews in the media, the models did not sell as well as expected. Consequently, the lower demand led to impairment of inventory and supply commitments at various times throughout the following fiscal year. At the end of the fiscal year, the task facing the company's chief financial officer was deciding whether or not further impairment was required. Because this decision came at a time of significant uncertainty about the company's future in the competitive marketplace, the task also involved considering the impact of a potential adjustment on the company's financial statements and on shareholder confidence.
Financial analysis, IT, Operations management
Purpose of Finance & Accounting Case Study Recommendation Memo
A Case Study Memo or Case Study Recommendation Memo is a routinely used document in leading organizations, and you may be writing number of such memos to executive leadership to “sell” or elevate an initiative that either you are undertaking or you wanted to kick start. Therefore, it is essential that you have a professional case study recommendation memo.
The purpose of a recommendation memo is to concisely recommend a course of action and provide rationale supporting the recommendation. The case study recommendation memo is a one-two page document (not including exhibits) that recommends your course of action and rationale. This format promotes a concise and clear strategic thought process.
Elements of a Case Study Recommendation Memo for – MBA & Executive MBA
1. First Paragraph of Blackberry 10 recommendation memo
- This paragraph expresses your intent or action that you required after reading the Blackberry 10 case study (This recommends……).
- Topic overview of the case study (the “what”, not “when” or “how”): costs, funding, etc.
- Ends with the hook: selling idea, the “why” or payoff: this part reveals the author’s point of view. What you intend to do after reading the case and it clearly mention your decision.
2. Background of Blackberry 10 case study
This paragraph explains why we are talking about this today. It lays out the story. It provides us details from the case story such as -
- Historical perspective on the problem is provided. Details are elaborated that underline the given problem.
- Highlights - what brought us to this moment, why we are in this position, what brought about the need to make this decision.
- Dimensionalize the importance of the problem to the organization and how it is impacting the organization.
- Constraints – Provide a situational analysis based on case study analysis.
- Keep the background section both factual and concise. It is part of the memo where we provide a brief insight into the problem and define the problem.
Is the background clear, concise, and easy to follow?
Does it explain why action is needed now?
Does the appropriate sense of urgency come across in the case study?
3. Recommendations for Blackberry 10 Case Memo
Recommendations section will provide details regarding what is needed to be done, how it can be done, when to do it and who will do it. It can be elaborated with scenario planning as businesses
- The details of what, when and how. NO 'why'.
- This section should be very specific (100% clear). It must be actionable (How much will it cost, when, how, who). The reader should be able to read this and know how to carry out this recommendation.
- Some cases will require more than one recommendation. It often happens that the firm will require more than one recommendations as there are numerous unknown in the market place.
Is the recommendation clear and actionable? Does the firm has capability to implement the recommendations or does it needs to hire fresh talent?
4. Basis for the Recommendations
- Here the reader of the case memo will learn WHY each recommendation is the UNIQUE right thing to do.
- 2-3 solid reasons are typical. The reasons should be backed by clear logic, organization’s vision and mission statements, and robust data analysis.
- Orignal recommendation can be backed by few supporting roadmap to actions. In operations cases the Critical Path Method of PERT can be used to illustrate the point.
- Support includes impact on profit, share, and anything else that can affect long-term business goals of the firm.
- Analysis should address applicable quantitative issues such as NPV, break even analysis, pro forma statement of project budget, sensitivity analysis; as well as qualitative issues, such as, technology consistency, architectural conformance, innovation potential, etc.
- Appeals to precedent and anecdotal evidence in absence of data, but only in limited, carefully constrained manner.
- Shows how the recommendation will put the firm at a competitive advantage or is simply acompetitive necessity.
- The goal is to read the basis and conclude the recommendation.
- Is the recommendation an inescapable conclusion of the basis?
- Does the basis for recommendation appropriately consider:
1. Core competencies and consistency with mission?
2. External customers and internal clients?
4. Attractiveness – quantitative measures if applicable (e.g., NPV, ROI, break-even, payback)?
- Are all assumptions explicitly stated (e.g., needs, technology trends)?
- Outline other alternatives not selected and provide brief reasoning for doing so.
- Discuss risks and key assumptions for Blackberry 10 case memo (use full disclosure, reference options grid) of your recommendation.
- When you give a precise number or range, you must support the basis as well.
- Is the analysis thorough with key alternatives fairly considered using options grid?
- Risks associated with recommendation for Blackberry 10 are properly addressed given the present capabilities and future expectations?
6. Next Steps for Blackberry 10 case study memo
- Clearly specify the roadmap of the execution. Provide specific date and action that are required to carry on the next steps.
- Task assignment, objectives, roles and metrics should be mentioned in advance to reduce ambiguity and replication. (what will be done, by whom, and by when)
- Clear follow-up/next steps?
- If appropriate, lay out timeline with key milestones to implement recommendation.
7. Exhibits for Blackberry 10 case memo
- An Exhibit can be a data chart, map, graph, grid, or simple data table.
- While doing the calculations please mention all the assumptions. The reader won’t able to decipher each of the assumption so make them explicit.
- Exhibits should have Title, sources, footnotes to calculation. The point of the Exhibit should be instantly clear to the reader.
- Exhibits should be cited in the proper order (i.e., do not cite Exhibit 4 first in your Memo and then Exhibit 2).
Checklist for Blackberry 10 case study memo exhibit
- Is the analysis presented in the case memo - precise, accurate, and data-based?
- Are the exhibits clearly laid out, titled, and referenced in the case study memo?
- Is every assumption mentioned in the case memo is explicitly listed?
NOTE: Every memo may not include every element described above. The specific case will dictate what must be included. For custom case memo please email us or process the order.
You can order Blackberry 10 Case Study Recommendation Memo with us at Fern Fort University .
Next 5 Case Study Recommendation Memo
- Alibaba's Bonds Dilemma: Location, Timing, and Pricing Case Study Recommendation Memo
- Direct Response Advertising at Liberator Medical Holdings, Inc. Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Transforming Alkermes into a Global Biopharmaceutical Company Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Office Space, A Company's Frontier: The Corporate Decision to Buy or Lease Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Accenture Human Capital Strategy Porter Five Forces Analysis
Previous 5 Case Study Recommendation Memo
- Revenue Recognition for a Services Contract Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Using Accounting Analytics to Make an Investment Decision Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Toshiba: Accounting Fraud Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Applied Mobile Labs: Valuation of a Start-Up Porter Five Forces Analysis
- Tele-Tichon Ltd.: Corporate Debt Restructuring Porter Five Forces Analysis
HBR Case Studies Solutions
- Alibaba's Bonds Dilemma: Location, Timing, and Pricing case study solution
- Direct Response Advertising at Liberator Medical Holdings, Inc. case study solution
- Transforming Alkermes into a Global Biopharmaceutical Company case study solution
- Office Space, A Company's Frontier: The Corporate Decision to Buy or Lease case study solution
- Accenture Human Capital Strategy case study solution